View Single Post
      07-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #13
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a 3 View Post
Loose steering is not in your head. I have driven a couple of F30s, and I had the same exact feeling.
Well now that's a new one, "loose steering".

We've had "light", "no feel", "lifeless", etc...
"Loose" is not a word I would use to describe the F30 steering at all.
It's far from loose.

Yes, the 'effort' to turn the wheel is light, too light, when set in eco or comfort mode. But in sport mode the effort increases nicely and is very much like my E46 was and how my 135i is.
The effort is not as heavy, but it's very nice.

Those of you who keep harping on the steering, do you not know to switch to "sport' mode?
That's the only explanation I can see.
Personally, I don't know why BMW did this ridiculous 'drive mode' thing, where the steering effort is affected. All it's done is create and add fuel this steering debate.
Perhaps someone wants less throttle response, why I have not idea, and a trans that shifts are very low rpm to save fuel.
But why lighten the steering effort?
Electric steering already saves a wee bit of fuel, making the effort lighter means the electric steering assist is working more often, which means it uses more power. Counter intuitive really.

The F30 steering is direct, precise, with excellent on-center feel, and in sport mode it's weighted nicely.
How that can be "bad" I don't know. People are really making a mountain out of mole hill.
Yes, it's not the same as the previous hydraulic setup. It's different.
But, it don't suck either.
Appreciate 0