A month ago, a new BMW prototype was spied for the first time
. At the time, given its fastback shape and substantial similarities to the 3 Series GT (3GT) prototypes we've been spying for months, we deemed it to be a 3GT with some camouflage removed or altered. But, the prototype has been spotted again and the additional looks at the prototype have us convinced that it is indeed the F36 4 Series Gran Coupe (4GC) being tested.
Here's a brief analysis of the clear differences between the two prototype models. The comparison photos below should also be helpful.
- The hood and cowl height and hood slope of the 4GC prototype is different than the 3GT.
- The shorter front bumper overhang on the 4GC.
- The roofline of the 4GC prototype differs from the 3GT - it's lower and sleeker, and the line is a smoother parabolic shape, without the sudden transition that the 3GT roofline has where the windshield joins the roof.
- The front windshield is more raked on the 4GC than 3GT.
- The B pillar of the 4GC appears wider than on the 3GT.
- The bottom door cutlines on the 4GC are horizontal, compared to the 3GT's upsweeping cutline (as it approaches the rear tires).
- The 4GC has much more of a trunk deck area, with the rear roofline ending much earlier than on the 3GT.
Codenamed as the F36, the 4 Series Gran Coupe will top the 3-Series/4-Series range just as the 6 Series Gran Coupe does for the 5-Series/6-Series range. Like the 6 Series Gran Coupe, it will be the flagship of the non-M series line for the 3/4-Series lineup and will be priced accordingly. For reference, the 2013 640i Gran Coupe is priced at a $1600 premium over the 2013 640i Coupe.
Like the 6 Series Gran Coupe, the 4 Series Gran Coupe combines the convenience of 4 doors (and larger rear passenger cabin) with the sleek roofline and silhouette of a coupe. It will share the upcoming 4 Series Coupe (F32)'s overall styling, just as the 6 Series Gran Coupe shares with its coupe counterpart. The 4 Series coupe recently revealed its kidney grille design (photos
), which we will also see on the 4 Series Gran Coupe. It will also share the same engine offerings as the 4 Series coupe and convertible.
With the 4 Series Gran Coupe as an addition, here is a summary of the upcoming 3 Series / 4 Series lineup:
- F30 3 Series Sedan
- F31 3 Series Touring
- F32 4 Series Coupe
- F33 4 Series Convertible
- F34 3 Series (GT) Gran Touring
- F35 3 Series Long Wheelbase (China only)
- F36 4 Series Gran Coupe
Just as the 6 Series Gran Coupe has spawned the M6 Gran Coupe
, so it would come as no shock to see an eventual M4 Gran Coupe as well.
Expect the 4 Series Gran Coupe sometime in 2014 and to compete with the Audi A5 Sportback.
Catch all the latest BMW spyshots, news & features at our homepage
* Click on image for high resolution version *