Originally Posted by MarkW83
Since it's out of everyone's control but BMW (i.e. not BMW FS, not the customer and not the dealer), and any delay over the normal/estimated time would be down to BMW alone, perhaps there would be some movement to contact BMW HQ to see if they'd honour a finance agreement that was previously made, that now wasn't being honoured because of an unforeseen delay? Worth a try, at least! Seems daft to do it any other way, though I accept if it's normal practice.
I will keep on top of my dealer, I have already said if the finance changes I'm no longer interested.
Oddly I'm not as excited now as I was compared to when I ordered my last car purely because I think I'm going to be let down.