View Single Post
      02-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #75
Major General

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
...[i] do all my own maintenance (I hate the stupid pre-paid maintenance plan BMW makes you buy in the US).
Next time you are in the mood to throw away $1500-$2000, please PM me. I live relatively close to you and I'm sure I could be there within an hour or less to take that money off your hands. I have two kids in college and a third about to head there. I know if I don't know what to do with that money, they will.

So call me not a Roundel badge whore; but I don't see the need to tart-up a great driving BMW with a bunch of options. I drive about 34,000 miles a year in my E90; I really don't want to spend an extra $7K for options that don't really enhance the driving experience.
I'm not sure what a badge whore is. Still trying to figure out if I am one or not for I have 2 BMWs of my own and gave one each to my two oldest kids. Don't know if that makes me a whore or a pimp.

Laden with options isn't what I'd call the 320 I described in my first post, aside from that's what it looks like because the 320 carries fewer things standard than does the 335, which is what I have now. Basically, I agree with you about keeping the options list short on a 3er. My 335 has but sport package, heated seats and leather, the last only because I wanted red seats, not because I mind having leatherette.

So the 320i got my interest, until I looked into the details. On the BMW website, on some pages (the first I read), called the engine a "2.0L in-line 4 cylinder" with 180 HP; so I thought, great a naturally aspirated 4-banger (= a bit slower but with reliability and better fuel mileage), just what I need for my commute. But no, it's just a detuned N20, with no better EPA MPG rating than the N20 in the 328i. It's 0 - 60 time is 7.1 seconds vs. the 328i's 5.8 seconds. Considering the reliability of BMW's turbos (E90 335i) is not yet known for the N20, I can't justify a 320i purchase as a high mileage low maintenance cost daily driver.

Sparsely optioned, like my current E90 325i is (Sport package, Adaptive HIDs, and Bluetooth), the F30 320i comes in at $37,195. A similarly equipped 328i Sport Line comes in at $42,225, a $5,250 difference for 60 more HP and 1.3 seconds fast 0 - 60 time. Hummmm.... Not sure I see the point.
For me, must haves on my cars are:
  • Sport suspension
  • Sport seats
  • Navigation
  • Moonroof
  • Power, heated seats
  • Heated steering wheel, provided that buying CWP to get it doesn't force me to spend $1450 to buy leather also
  • Xenon lights
  • Rear view camera

Were I content with just the extras you mentioned, $5200 would be enough of a savings for me to go with the 320i.

So, close BMW, close; why not give us long-timer cheapo-badge whores, a nice 2.0L naturally aspirated and reliable in-line 6 (like a 3-Series should have) with direct injection for an F30 320i price.
The only reason I can come up with for why BMW don't do this is CAFE, to which BMW was a supporting party in the 2011 CAFE standards promulgation, so they can't really just ignore it. Even so, I don't understand at all how it is that BMW can spend money to detune the N20, yet sell it for less money than one that hasn't been detuned.

'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed