05-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #294
jctg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Sport BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaBitca View Post
Hi guys,

First time poster and BMW owner here, so apologies in advance if i seem ignorant.

Always wanted to own a 3, but could never afford it. Closest i got was a second hand 1.8T Audi A4 and Lexus IS350 FSport. Recently took the plunge though.

I went to a new dealer, Waverley BMW (opened about 3 months ago). Opted for a new 328i they had in stock;

F30 328i (Built Oct 2012)
Alpine White
Sports Line
Xenon headlamps
Sunroof

List price was 79,888 drive away, but managed to haggle them down to 72000. It was their EOFY sale, so got 4 years free servicing thrown in.

Questions;

1) Did I overpay? I know it's too late now, but i'm curious and a glutton for punishment!
Looks like you got a pretty good deal in my opinion. I definitely wouldn't say you overpaid.

Quote:
2) I've never been much of an options guy, but the only issue i was seriously considering was suspension. Eventually i opted for standard suspension as my only other option was sports suspension with an M trim model (which i do not like the looks of), and while test driving i did not really feel much difference between the two. I did not test drive a car with adaptive suspension. However, after driving to Healesville and feeling the body roll myself, and reading comments around the internet, i'm reconsidering.
Much depends on your driving style and what you want from the car. If you like spirited driving then I would say standard suspension is too soft and floaty.

Quote:
Is it even possible to retrofit adaptive suspension to my car? Is it practical, and at what price? What about regular sports suspension? Do I have to go back for the dealer for this or should i consider third party parts, and what are the warranty implications?

I hope someone can help me out, any help is much appreciated.

P.S. Any other tips and tricks for a new F30 owner like myself? Anything to look out for etc?
Retrofiting adaptive suspension, assuming it is even possible, I think would be extremely costly - in the thousands of dollars.

The sports suspension, iirc, is just stiffer springs. I know you can order sports springs and have them installed for around $2000. That will drop the car by 10mm.

Or you can use other aftermarket springs such as Eibach which will drop the car by a bit more (25mm iirc) and cost about $1000 installed.

All the estimated cost are per independent BMW mechanical shop (try Southern BM). BMW, through dealers, also offers M Performance suspension which is the whole works - springs, dampers, anti-roll bars and I think that is a few thousands as well (3.5k plus labour).

Personally I am waiting for aftermarket sway bars to come out then I can change springs and sway bars at the same time.

Warranty is hard to say. I would say at worst only suspension components would be voided.

Last edited by jctg; 05-15-2013 at 06:18 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0