03-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #13
XenaBimmer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328i, '14 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSecaBlue View Post
Some manufacturers will allow you to pay multiple security deposits to buy down the interest rate on your lease. Most leases will require you to pay a security deposit at inception. If a MSD program is available, you pay more than one security deposit. Each additional security deposit will lower your interest rate by a certain amount. That lower interest rate will result in a lower monthly payment. You can calculate an implied rate of return by comparing the monthly savings against the initial "capital outlay" (the additional security deposits). For example, if you pay 6 security deposits at $600 each ($3600 capital outlay), and your new monthly payment is lower by $30 per month compared to your original payment without the 6 MSD, your yearly savings is $360. Applied against the initial capital outlay of $3600, your implied rate of return based on the yearly savings of $360 is 10% - TAX FREE and GUARENTEED. At the end of the lease, you get your $3600 back.

BMW program allows 7 MSD, each one reducing the money factor by 7 basis points.

If you are in the market to lease a car, this is something that's worth looking into, as the dealer probably won't tell you about this. You just need to ask your SA/CA.
Thank you for the info!
This is a totally new concept to me and something that I've never heard of before. I've leased 4 different BMWs in the last 3 years, is this not something that the dealers usually inform customers of?