06-02-2014, 04:34 PM   #7
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: F31 330d X-Drive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamese93 View Post
Sometimes BMW group paint is just utter shite, really sub standard.

Seems however as if you got it without them valeting it straight from the dealer which probably shows us how they all come. Eek....

Good luck!
Thanks - it's terrible the state they send new cars out in.

Ironically, our last Mini was sent back due to similar paintwork defects. BMW didn't even try and argue that one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterM4 View Post
Such a shame Andy What are the meter readings, some kind of surface imperfection measurement.

What's the next steps?
They are paint depth readings, in microns.

A factory sprayed car should be around 120-130 microns. Once you go below 70 microns on an OEM sprayed car, you run the risk of striking through the clear coat and catching the base (which is a disaster).

The worrying thing is how inconsistent the robots are applying the paint. Panels generally have some kind of consistency, but this is all over the place. I can see quite a few paintwork warranty arguments because dealers check the depth readings and BMW has a habit of refusing warranty work where there are varying depth readings (they often claim someone has had it resprayed).

My detailer would normally remove 2-3 microns polishing my car to a real shine before sealing or waxing it. With this car, he would need to correct all those marks and he doesn't want to take that risk as chances are, he will end up going through the clear coat.

Next step is to see what BMW/Mini say. But it is a real mess for us as we needed this car.
Appreciate 0