View Single Post
      10-13-2015, 03:42 PM   #31
SchweiZ4
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Okay, I did it - I removed the phone cradle and got more space for less than $20 in less than 45 min.

I have written everything below with pics to help out.

Problematic:
Phone snap-in cradle costs $200, so basically the same price that I pay for a new phone every 2 years. So I won't buy a new phone snap-in every 2 years for $200.
Besides, I don't really need this; I already have bluetooth connection for my phone and I don't believe in the antenna thing with the snap in.
And finally, more space in the center armrest will be more than welcome.

Replacement time:
45 min in my case with no instructions. Maybe less for you with this.

Tools:
Trim tools + 1 flat screw.

Complexity:
3/5. The phone cradle is a bit hard to remove. Then some cables might be complex to pull out - but nothing not manageable.

Price:
less than $20 for the replacement part "Mat insert, storage compartment, middle" part number #51169227902. Ordered at my BMW dealership.
Part #06

Steps summary:
Here is a summary of steps. So that you know what needs to be done first.
1. Pull the phone cradle out starting from the top of it. [used trim tool + fingers]
2. Pull out rear air grille [tim tool + fingers] [Part #04]
3. Unplug the 3 connectors [flat screw]
4. Push connectors behind air duck and under phone cradle [fingers]
5. Unlock main cable fuse and cables from cable holders [flat screw]
6. Pull everything out: phone cradle and its cables [hand]
7. Put the new mat in place

Detailed steps:

Tools:

1. Pull the phone cradle out starting from the top of it. [used trim tool + fingers]

The goal here is to pull out the phone cradle. There are 3 rows of 2 clips to lift. Total of 6 (see pic 4).
Start with a thin tool at the top of the cradle. With this tool you should be able to lift the first and maybe also second rows of clips.

Then you should be able to pull everything out. The latest clips should go out.
Do not hesistate to pull. At first, it seems that it won't come out and eventually break the part, but it doesn't. You should ear and feel each row of clips popping out.

You should end up with this:

2. Pull out rear air grille [tim tool + fingers]
The goal at this step is to pull the rear ear grill out to unplug cable connectors located behind.
Here I consider and I was able to do everything just by removing the grill. I didn't have to remove all the center console as I have seen on some pictures. Besides, I find it very hard to open the center console.

So, this is very easy, just insert your thin tool at the top of the grill and lever. The grill will go out very easily.

3. Unplug the 3 connectors [flat screw]

Use a flat screw to push at the right spot on the connector to unlock it.
You will have to unlock:
  • 1 blue connector
  • 1 black connector
  • 1 square connector for two cables
For the first 2, you need to push with the flat screw at the right spot to unlock the connector.
For the last one, you need to lift the bar, which will unlock the big black square connector.

First connector: blue one

Second connector: black one just under the blue one.

Last connector. Lift the connector bar to unlock it.

You should end up with this.

4. Push connectors behind air duck and under phone cradle [fingers]
The goal of this step is to push the cable behind the air duck and close to the exit near the phone cradle cable hole.
The first 2 cable connectors passes easily next to the air duck, but the big square connector won't.
In order to make it, you need to pull the air duck out a bit, push the square connector and put the air duck back in place.

5. Unlock main cable fuse and cables from cable holders [flat screw]
Now you think this is done. Cable connectors are right under the cable hole and snap in cradle popped out.
You just need one last thing: unlock the main and biggest cable fuse and other cables from their holders.

Take the flat screw, place it in each cable holes and push down the following:
  • 1 main cable fuse [RED]
  • 3 cable holders [ORANGE]
A picture is missing here, but you should end up with what you see on picture.

6. Pull everything out: phone cradle and its cables [hand]
You are now done. Everything will come out if you pull like on the picture above.

7. Put the new mat in place
Order from my dealership for less than $20.

Attached Images

Last edited by SchweiZ4; 10-13-2015 at 04:12 PM.