View Single Post
      01-24-2018, 10:05 PM   #36
TreyR28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i

I received my 8.8" display today and got it installed. Install was really easy, but there were a couple things that would have made it way quicker had I known them before. I'll write up the installation below for anyone planning on doing the upgrade.

But first, here is the screen I got with part number on sticker:

I used this guide for the Avin install to get an idea of the process:
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...328215&o=OneUp
(Shoutout to raichean for posting this)

This guide is great but he is replacing a 8.8" screen and the connector is different which you will see further down.

Step 1: Remove the center trim piece. A plastic trim tool makes this much easier but is not required. Start in the center as shown and work your way to the right slowing prying apart. The second picture shows where the clips are holding the right side on. Be careful because the plastic is thin and I could see this breaking if you pull too hard at the wrong angle.

I didn't even unplug the trim piece because I always have issues with these stupid connectors and didn't feel like messing with it. If you choose to do this I recommend resting the trim on the radio controls with a microfiber between to protect the pieces from scratching each other. See the pictures below.

Step 2: Remove the 2 Torx T-15 screws. I recommend putting another microfiber under the screws to prevent from dropping them into the air vent or down in the dash, especially if you don't have a magnetic screwdriver.

Step 3: Remove the existing display. Once the screws are removed the display pulls straight up. There are two clips that will probably pop off that go on the dash midway up the back of it. They are easy to pop back in place when you reassemble.

To get enough slack to access the plug on the back of the display you have to pull on the wire pretty hard. I recommend removing the microfiber from the air vent and pulling to get more slack. Once you can turn the screen around you can access the connector

The connector is extremely difficult to remove. The 8.8" display has the connector vertical, while it is horizontal on the 6.6" screen (See below picture). This threw me off since the guide I was looking at didn't show that. Depress the tab and pull down pretty hard with a plastic trim tool to separate the connector from the screen.

6.6" Display Connector location:

8.8" Display Connector location:

Step 4: Plug in the new display and replace the metal clips if they popped off when removing the first display (sorry but I don't have a good picture of the clips and where they go).

Push down pretty hard to get it settled and replace screws (Again, put microfiber under screws to prevent from losing):

Then replace the dash trim. I recommend starting in the center and working to the right.

Step 5: You need to code head unit to work with the new screen, it will be black until you code your computer. I used the expert coding feature of the BimmerCode iOS app and it was super easy. I had never coded before and it took me less than 5 minutes to figure out, but make sure you are very careful to only change the below parameters (I am in no way responsible if you screw up your car by coding wrong). I recommend putting your phone in airplane mode and disconnecting all bluetooth devices except the OBD coding plug:

HU_NBT > 3000 HMI > DISPLAY_SIZE_RESOLUTION = 8.8_1280x480
HU_NBT > 3001 EXBOX > DISPLAY_VARIANTE = breites_display

Link to buy bluetooth adapter($26 at time of writing):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link to app website(~$27 in-app purchase for coding at time of writing):
http://www.bimmercodeapp.com

Step 6: Enjoy your big screen with split screen functionality. I recommend coding sport display using the bimmercode app as well. Split screen will work by default without extra coding.

Side note:
This upgrade is only compatible with cars made after 07/2014ish (In the US at least). Cars produced after that date use the ENTRY NAV, and cars made before that have the ENTRY system which you cannot code to use the 8.8" display.
Appreciate 0