View Single Post
      05-11-2018, 09:28 AM   #1
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Misinformation From Service Advisors

Well I have an interesting story to tell. As I write this, I'm sitting in the waiting area at my local BMW dealership waiting to talk to my SA. About 10 minutes ago, I overheard (eavesdropped on) an older couple talking to another SA. They were in for a door latch being busted or something, and when the SA came over to tell them they're done, the owner of the car asked the SA what kind of engine his car has as apparently he is asked often. The SA looked surprised and proceeded to look through the papers he was holding, as if the answer would be in there. He looked up and clumsily responded with "It's a 4 cylinder, 2.8 liter, two turbos" and smiled at the customer, who obviously didn't know better to realize that 2/3s of that info was wrong. The couple was driving a late model 528i that was obviously equipped with the N20, which of course is a 2.0 liter, single, twin scroll turbo. I was honestly shocked that someone who deals with these cars day in and day out, an SA, could be so misinformed. At the very least he should know how the badging and engine lineup works in the cars.

I don't know, I was just shocked at this, and wanted to post up here as I'm bored waiting. Is this normal? I always thought the SAs were at least a little bit mechanically inclined.