View Single Post
      09-25-2018, 08:09 AM   #61
DriveS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
I had a long chat with the Service Manager at my dealer yesterday. Seems the process is :

Strip the EGR cooler and visually inspect. They are specifically looking for signs of coolant inside the cooler, and coking.

Depending on the inspection of the cooler, they may then remove the EGR and inspect that as well.

Depending on the condition of the cooler and the EGR they may also remove the inlet manifold and the throttle body for inspection.

If the only cooler needs to be replaced, its just fitting of as new part. If the EGR needs to be replaced they should be able to do isolated coding and not wipe other ECUs in the car.

They want the car for two days to make surer that there's sufficient time.

Personally I'm hoping for at least a new cooler and EGR. The car has done 80K miles and I'll be amazed if there's not substantial soot/sludge/coking in these components.

Mine is booked for 17th October, due to loan car availability, so I'll let you know how it goes.

Mine is due in on Thursday this week for end of Warranty check and the recall.

On Saturday i dropped by the dealers and sat with the Service Manager. I asked if the recall would involve a full software upgrade as I had coding options. He said yes. I twisted a bit and then he told me to hang on as he was going to tell me for certain. He got my reg and went onto the database. He then said that my car would not need the EGR valve replaced and would just need the EGR cooler done, which does not require a software reload.
I asked him if he was sure and he seemed absolutely certain, showing me the screen which flagged up just the cooler for my car. He said only vehicles which need the EGR valve to be replaced would need the full software upload.

Its strange that he thought you could tell the work involved by the car data and the Service Manager (Watsey) is talking about above thinks that you would only find out what is required after an inspection.

So mine is 335d build May 2015, just before the LCI I think.

When I go in on Thursday I am going to hand them a note explaining what was said and that under no circumstances do they do a full software upgrade.
Appreciate 0