12-08-2019, 01:12 AM   #22
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlev View Post
Cross posting since I totally missed this thread, here's been my experience so far with this unit.

Got my box installed yesterday and today. I only use CarPlay and have an iPhone X so no experience with AA. Everything within CarPlay seems to work pretty well. No complaints after about an hour of usage.

So I've got a '14 NBT HU /w nav, HK & Sirius.
It wasn't possible to fit everything behind or under my head unit. After trying, I ended up having to remove my glove box to fit the unit between the right pocket of the head unit. Quite a bit of T20 undrilling & you need to drop the bottom passenger airbag. Followed Kies video for that. Even the wiring harness barely fit back there, definitely was a tight fit for me.

Ran into an issue where I had no radio signal or sound. I realized that I had to transfer over the two green fiber optic cables from my original harness. If you run into this, make sure they are re-inserted back into the new harness in the right direction (messed this up the first time).

Overall, the install ended up being more of a pain than I anticipated and took me quite a while to get everything squared away and reassembled. Mostly due to the glove box part I wasn't expecting.

Sound quality seems good on my HK system with wireless using Spotify CarPlay on my phone. You can notice some slightly degraded quality with very high volume, but there's an equalizer and volume settings you can play around with. I was worried about sound quality of music, but am pleasantly surprised that it's still good even though the headunit system is set to "aux". I will continue to listen to music in CarPlay Spotify rather than OEM Bluetooth.

Regarding the mic, I called my gf and she told me I sounded perfectly fine on my end (unit uses OEM mic).
Saying "Hey Siri" allows me to do whatever through the unit without touching anything. I think there's a button shortcut for this too? But not sure what that is.
Used Waze and had no issues - worked exactly as expected in full screen.

I have heads up display. So when sound is playing via CarPlay, you can control the CarPlay menu using the steering wheel controls. However the heads up display populates a message saying "action not available in AUX mode" or something, while you scroll from your steering wheel. That's really the only "non OEM" drawback.

Also updated my box before I set it up - successfully flashed from v2.0.2.4 (which it came with) to the latest v2.0.2.5

Definitely worth the upgrade, very happy so far.
Glad I waited for a solution that checked all the boxes for me: wireless, 8.8" full screen support, and uses OEM mic. Bonus that Andream seems to be actively working on firmware updates and includes Android Auto just as a luxury.
What was your dip switch set up?