Rep
Drives: G05 X5 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGT View Post
Quote:
A tire place stripped my key using an impact gun. Took it to a dealer. They matched it up with their key set and ordered a new key for me from McGard who makes this style for BMW. I paid the dealer parts dept $36 and got a call in a week to pick up the new key.

The dealer was able to use their key to remove my wheel locks and replace with a stock bolt so I could change my tires.

The dealer tried to sell me a new set of their spline style wheel locks but at ~$140 it seemed smarter to just replace the McGard key.

If somehow the dealer keys don't fit, like if the previous owner installed an aftermarket set of McGard locks out of the range of BMW keys, you can contact McGard directly. This happens all the time. You can email them closeup photos of your locks on the car and they can figure out which key you need and ship it to you.

Hope this helps!
I appreciate this suggestion. With this Coronavirus quarantine, the BMW Dealership and tire/wheel businesses are closed

So I guess I'd have to wait until everything goes back to normal (hopefully) and try this. Thanks again!
Call McGard then. It might just take emailing some photos to them to get the key that you need. Why wait?
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGT View Post
Quote:
A tire place stripped my key using an impact gun. Took it to a dealer. They matched it up with their key set and ordered a new key for me from McGard who makes this style for BMW. I paid the dealer parts dept $36 and got a call in a week to pick up the new key.

The dealer was able to use their key to remove my wheel locks and replace with a stock bolt so I could change my tires.

The dealer tried to sell me a new set of their spline style wheel locks but at ~$140 it seemed smarter to just replace the McGard key.

If somehow the dealer keys don't fit, like if the previous owner installed an aftermarket set of McGard locks out of the range of BMW keys, you can contact McGard directly. This happens all the time. You can email them closeup photos of your locks on the car and they can figure out which key you need and ship it to you.

Hope this helps!
I appreciate this suggestion. With this Coronavirus quarantine, the BMW Dealership and tire/wheel businesses are closed

So I guess I'd have to wait until everything goes back to normal (hopefully) and try this. Thanks again!
Call McGard then. It might just take emailing some photos to them to get the key that you need. Why wait?
Thing is I don't live in the US, so we don't have McGard in here
—— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— —— ——
Appreciate 0