12-03-2023, 03:09 PM   #73
Pond
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, F31 and Z3 project

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
^Don't disagree on ASHPs .

I do keep on wondering if we should something 'radical' with room layout upstairs. The £70kish of complex steel install has essentially left us with almost an uninterrupted upstairs open space, with plenty of light, interesting angles etc to play with.

To be fair all of the new upstairs space is really just going to be one massive master suite, with ensuite big enough for a bathtub and walk in wardrobe......we could go totally 'European' and have it all open to the main entrance gable/atrium........though that's taking it too far even for me with my laissez-faire attitude.

Once water tight I'll have a chat with the builder on where we should stick in the studd walls.

Open plan bedroom suites look good in pictures, but as an everyday proposition.....would you want to watch your other half having a shit while you are in bed, or vice versa?
Same as having 'his and hers' basins....great in photos but a total waste of money...ablutions should NEVER be a team game IMO.

Where the shower and bath go are the important bits, as you will have restricted height due to the roof pitch in many places. You need a free height of at least 2.2m for easy access to either of the former. I once put a corner bath in a dropped eaves bathroom. Bad mistake as you had to get in and out very carefully. Looked great in pictures, though!

With some thought and planning (and a bit of money), you should be able to make that a spectacular space.

If you can, make a corridor and get another bedroom out of it. A massive bedroom is a waste of space...great for a week but you will soon be lost in it. IMO and experience of course.

Last edited by Pond; 12-03-2023 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0