View Single Post
      03-27-2024, 06:10 PM   #24
Livetodrive
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i X Drive

Garage List
My BMW service advisor stuck by the BMW policy that a transmission fluid change is not recommended and declined to do it. I then hung around until I found a more mechanically knowledgeable advisor. He agreed it should be done at my car’s mileage of 61,000 miles and agreed to do it.

To make a long story short, I ended up having the transmission fluid changed last week at a local indie BMW shop by an ex-BMW tech. He indicated that before draining the fluid they would take a sample and inspect it. If it was too contaminated they would not replace it. Mine looked good so they went ahead with it. The transmission felt the same afterwards with no issues. I had bought the transmission kit from FCP Euro beforehand and handed it to them. I also had the mechatronics connected sleeve seal replaced.

My take on all this is that “lifetime” fluid means about 100,000 miles. I bought my car new and want to keep it, so I had it done.

During the same appointment I also had the coolant, front and rear differential and transfer case fluids replaced. The brake fluid has been replaced every two years, per BMW recommendations.
Appreciate 1
danb19792015.00