View Single Post
      11-11-2012, 05:35 PM   #35
Vitoco
Infidel
Rep
Drives: iX3 LCI M Pro Carbon B

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I'd say it is simply caused by a wet exhaust. Are you guys doing lots of shortish trips? Exhaust systems not completely drying out.

I've noted on my 535i that the exhaust shows more black soot that what I was used to seeing, when I had my last BMW petrol engine. In fact more soot at the exhaust tip than my BMW diesel with DPF fitted. Plus there is lots more condensation from this engine than expected, and for a longer period on warm up.

I've read that the 'sooting' in the exhaust tips is a trait of the DI engines. If it is and we have condensation, it will blow it out, where it sticks will depend to a degree on the speed it comes out and how wet.

HighlandPete
This is what I adressed in my post on page 1, it's why I always make sure the engine reachesworking temp before I shut it so Ive had a chance to rev it out a lil to clear the pipes (both, theleft one has the damn valve)

Former: Glacier Ag. F31 328iA RWD M Sport oct. 2012, sold July 2022
| Sport Automatic | Adap. M Susp. | Pano. Moonroof | 20" ATS Racelight Grey w. Michelin PSS| M Sport brakes | Harman Kardon | Elec. Seats | PDC F&R | ACC Stop&Go | 335i MPE | Perf. Parts |
Appreciate 0