View Single Post
      09-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #310
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyMan View Post

Sorry, you are wrong in saying it is the same all throughout! It depends on the follows:
1/. The parts used in assembling the cars. i.e., for the same model, some production plants use similar or alternate approved parts made locally (to satisfy some countries' requirement). (e.g., Chinese plant vs. German)
2/. Depending on the options selected. (Like the 8 AT gearbox added)
That is why in the catalogue, they just specify a range rather than an exact figure.
As for what you mentioned "From day one the 328i is eligible for EFV rebate', it may be just your own interpretation of the policy! As regards to the other European cars failed to get the allowances, I heard they failed either in the gas emission aspect or insufficient supporting documents submitted by the local importers!
In fact, you are correct in saying that EPD has the sole discretion in these applications. But, I truly believe that our civil servants are a group of fairly efficient officers in dealing with normal, standard or routine tasks (just like issuing driving licence etc.). But, when faced with non-routine tasks or controversial issues, they become very bureaucratic, procedure-driven and dogmatic! I sympathise with your case as I also failed to get a Germany assembled 328i with EPV allowance!
If u read carefully the brochure, it states the unladen weight of a 328i w/8AT is homologated with a weight of 1530kg. The homologation is done on a car equipped to basic spec for the German market, which in other words meaning barebones. HK-spec weighs much more than 1530kg due to the additional standard equipment (e.g. automatic a/c, electric seats, etc. etc.). If u read off the table from HKEPD u'll see it falls in the 1516kg-1766kg group. This is the absolute minimum weight for a 328iA.
SA made cars are no different to German cars in terms of weight if built to German equipment spec, as a large proportion of the components are of the same source & spec as German cars. HK-bound SA cars are also homologated to EU-spec. In actual fact, SA-made SA-spec cars also have a homologated weight of 1530kg, measured to the same standard & having very similar standard equipment spec to German-spec cars.
True, the weight may be different between plants but it's not true for SA-made cars to EU-spec. It is also not true for SA-made cars for US markets - they have the same homologated weight in US. The Chinese plant is different cos they make LWB version which is heavier.
The fact that the 328i is eligible since day one is not my interpretation, u just need to read off the HKEPD table to know it's eligible (it's fuel consumption is way lower than the requirement under 1516-1766 group). Emissions of the N20 is no problem cos if the 528i is eligible then the 328i will also be due to the same drivetrain & lighter weight.
There's no way the importer will make mistakes in submitting the required documents, cos part of the type approval process in HK requires emissions measurement documents from the factory. Due to mutual recognition the factory will always submit all EU-type approval documents to the relevant authorities in HK to facilitate the process.
Even if some documents are missing they can submit them again, which means a delay in approval & not just outright refusal. There are a few cases which I can list out being rather suspicious.
Btw, I'm not one of the victims of the arbitrariness of the HK govt.
Appreciate 0