11-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #25
BRM6
Private First Class
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 328/335/M235i/M4 - Current M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian99997 View Post
Think about the sensors that BMS is using, MAP (manifold pressure, detects vacuum or boost before it hits the combustion chamber) as well as the MAF (how much air flows past it) and then they are sending fake values to the ECU to make it adjust the wastegate solenoid more aggressively. Every aftermarket piggyback is going to be similar to this and I would imagine that like most ECU's, this one has a limit to what it is supposed to see and the car is throwing codes to protect itself from a bad solenoid or other sensor that could allow the car to overboost and blow the engine.

While I don't think BMS is unique to this possible problem, I am convinced that this style of ECU manipulation causes problems similar to yours. Perhaps your car was 3% better than the car on their dyno, that would be another 7hp and hp demands fuel.

That said, I want some type of tune for the car if for no other reason than to get rid of the lag/dead pedal space in non-sport mode and have some power for the street and I have read that BMS does so I will probably go that route soon if nobody makes something that gets to the 350hp area although that will probably involve a different turbo. I've talked to nearly every manufacturer out there and I would have to remove the tune every time I went to the track though because they (and probably the car in stock form) are not really engineered for running 20 minutes at a time.
Good points. Coming from Subarus and having friends that used to run UNICHIP and got rid of them because of constant CELs, this is why I still have not purchased the BMS. I am not comparing BMS X UNICHIP here, but they're both piggybacks, so that kind of worries me as the whole idea of faking sensors just doesn't sound interesting to me knowing how advanced tunes are nowadays (like Cobb, APR, GIAC, etc...)

Knowing very well about how tuning works for Subarus, I am really surprised that no one is making a decent reflash for the N20 yet. I wonder why? Is the ECU system so much different or complicated than let's say VW/AUDI? For example, for VW/AUDI, APR is so nice. So much potential we have with the N20, not being able to have a decent reflash yet really sucks.
Appreciate 0