06-14-2016, 02:57 PM   #11
pbjjj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1, Dark Olive/Mocha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw 06 View Post
As former BMW executive, USMC aviator, and all around automotive stud Bob Lutz so eloquently stated in the July 2016 issue of Road & Track Magazine:

“BMW has ceased to be a company designing responsive, sporting cars for enthusiasts. It has gone mainstream, which from a shareholder’s perspective, has been a good move. The brand is greatly respected, and BMW earned that respect. Most BMW buyer’s today pay a monthly lease and have no idea why they bought the brand, other than that it enjoys instant recognition and respect among the owner’s peers. Taut ride, superb handling, sharp steering, and symphonic-quality engine sound have mostly fallen by the wayside; today’s BMW customer neither notices nor cares…”

I have to agree with Mr. Lutz. The naturally aspirated E46 was the last 3-Series that I truly enjoyed driving (I had a 2000 323i Sedan with ZSP and 6MT and still have a 2004 M3 Coupe with 6MT). My E90 335i with ZSP and 6MT was still a fun car to drive for the most part, despite its bulk, HPFP issues and other numerous faults. Today, I find myself merely tolerating my 2013 F30 328i with ZMT and 6MT. IMO, BMW peaked for enthusiasts about 10 years ago, and the company has since shifted its focus and marketing strategy to capturing more conventional Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti, Honda/Acura drivers.
I agree 100%. My first BMW was E88, and that drive was amazing and always brought smile to my face every time I drove it. I looked forward to driving the car. I was pretty satisfied with F30, but its driving feel never brought smile to my face. It's overall a nice car, but I feel that I could've easily gotten the same feeling with an Audi A4.

I do think BMW does have a winner on their hands with the new X1, but the fun feeling is closer to driving a Mazda with faster acceleration than to what BMW cars used to be.

I am not criticizing BMW with the direction they've taken because I understand why they did what they did. BMW cars are still competitive in the marketplace but have lost that magic that used to make my heart beat faster when driving my E88.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Appreciate 0