03-28-2019, 01:40 PM   #96
mcintoshf30
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
It's basically where you add power and make it.

PWG tuned will make more power low and midish range, but barely any up top due to the limitations of the stock turbo.

EWG hold a lot more boost up top safely and more efficiently due to the electronic wastegate and slightly bigger turbo.

I believe someone made a little chart of TQ percentage increase and decrease for EWG VS PWG. It seems PWG makes more TQ low range to midish. And EWG makes loses a bit of TQ low range but makes up for it mid and top end.

Which is why a stock EWG will walk away from PWG tuned everytime. On a roll, you spend 99% of the time above 4.5-5k RPM, and basically that's where the PWG starts to fall off a cliff, where the EWG is still in it's power band till 5800-6k rpm and beyond if it's tuned correctly.

A pure stage 1 would equal PWG, and a Pure stage 2 would be ridiculously better for PWG as it makes up for all it's downsides.

But again this is comparing pump gas (91 and 93 octane only) once you add meth and ethanol, it's different, but EWG will always come out more dominant.

#regretmyPWG
#itsokaycausePS2
So I'm about to pull the trigger on a F30 that has PWG. I will go Stage 1, then FBO, then either PS2 or borg warner. I likely won't do E85 since there aren't that many stations near me. I'd consider meth injection but I'd set it up so it only sprays at WOT. But should I look for an F30 with EWG or will I be fine for my needs?
Appreciate 0