claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
I live it too.

CURRENT building codes DO put a priority on actual life safety. But old/legacy/outdated codes are "grandfathered in" every single day because updates would be too expensive. Hell, just today I was discussing a site that we put an active smoke management system in 20 years ago. It was allowed as an alternative to sprinkling a high rise building that was changing primary usage. That system has not been functionally tested or maintained since the day it was installed. The local codes don't require it so it's never been done.

Interestingly, there's zero impact on insurance premiums if a minimally effective system on a given property is upgraded to current standards and codes. I learned this in a hospital I was working in. Things aren't always what they appear to be on the surface. Draw your own conclusions...

Sorry for the threadjack folks.
Not in South FL. Dwellings/Comm structures over 2 story that do not meet an updated fire/life safety code are not re-certified and in many cases cannot be insured.

Our bldg's are likely younger than yours. You've got some serious lobbying going on over there. Sad.

In this case we are talking about the BMW Welt, which just recently underwent an overhaul and surely was brought up to current code. Anyway, I don't believe they can't fill fuel tanks of cars being delivered there. At the very least they can have a runner top off the tank after the dog and pony is done inside the bldg. I think the reality is its just not customary to give a buyer of a $40K+ car a full tank of fuel in Germany. Even after they spend $$$ to fly over, etc... On the other hand you get some food and beer for free. To me, ODD!

Cultural differences?
Appreciate 0