08-02-2012, 12:47 AM   #23
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_335Ci View Post
you must not be a native to AZ? no cop is going to pull you over for 20% when most cars in this state have limo (5%) tint all around.

here is what 20% tints look like on my F30
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675346

regarding your previous question, again are you from AZ? winter tires are fine all year round in the Phoenix area. now if you head up to Flagstaff in the winter and you take your car in areas where there is snow/ice then you will have a problem with summer tires.
Beautiful car! I have been in AZ for over 6 years, and I have seen a lot of dark tints (like 20 or even 5) here. Just used to wonder how many times those people keep getting pulled up! Just that I tend to tread too much on caution sometimes but still might pull the trigger on 20% on the sides and 5% on the rear.

Hmm... you mentioned that "winter tires are fine all year round" ... I guess you meant "summer tires are fine...."
The reason I asked was because I keep reading that summer tires lose a lot of grip below 45 degrees. And in Phoenix, it does become much colder than that for at least a couple of months in a year, especially during the early mornings (when we normally drive to work). I've also read lots of conflicting statements from folks who mention that as long as you drive carefully, you should be fine.... still wondering about those unexpected moments when you got to brake in a hurry or steer away aggressively to avoid trouble...Hmm... decisions decisions.... maybe I might just keep the OEMs now and go for ultra-high performance all seasons (like Extreme Contact DWS) later. Not that I would be totally happy with that compromise!!
Appreciate 0