View Single Post
      01-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #17
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30AM View Post
There is nothing you can do. It will happen anyway. The underlying problem is that 'soft' water-based paints are now used for environmental safety.

Flat colours are a marriage made in heaven for swirls and Flat Black, is flatly the best for this. Metallic paints fare much better. Best Silver and Grey Metallics.

And please don't bother with paint protection. It's money wasted. I've done the rounds with these products and they are all pretty hopeless.

I also have a Red Mk6 Golf GTI and it has been a PITA to maintain. I am scared to wash it now! Never, ever again.

I don't normally come to the F30 forum. I am thinking about a new car this Spring so I dropped in to take a look.

With all due respect, I strongly disagree. Since over 90% of the swirls are induce by poor washing method.... resolving this issue will go a long way in keeping car swirl-free. Detailing is both a hobby and a side job for me. At the end of every detail, I make a point of showing my clients how to wash their cars. After spending 8-10 hrs working on their cars, I sure hate to have them wreck it in a few weeks since the clear coat can only be flattened so many times before failure occurs.