ikonic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 328I M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt10415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jogabs77 View Post
An adapter lock would not deter you from getting in your car, pressing start and getting to where you need to go quickly. An engineer or even a bright person like yourself can design an adapter to locking to cover the port. You laugh at the ideas people come up with but you won't be laughing when your BMW is gone.
I was referring to a steering wheel/ignition lock being removed before starting your journey. There isn't one available on the market which can't be overcome in seconds, fact!

As for my BMW being gone, I'll make sure I post on here when it happens. Then I'll keep you updated on the arrival of my new one from the leasing company.

Maybe it's me but I didn't see the security engineer add on pack being offered in the dealership when I ordered the car. How much would that be then?

As far as I'm aware the silver disklok (not the yellow one which is useless) actually has quite good press and hasn't been able to be removed unless they've taken the whole steering wheel with it. Those shown on the net have actually occurred because they've used the wrong size disklok (ie. too big) for the wheel - however I agree that they are a pain to use and I wouldn't bother with them myself.

However, the purpose of the thread was mainly to simply discuss whether this is even an issue that affects the F30, and if so, what simple precautions could be taken. There may be an additional procedure in the F30 that means it isn't even fallible to this method which youtube has shown can be done in 2 minutes; hence this whole topic is irrelevant.

Something simple like a port lock or even a dummy OBD could potentially prevent a stolen car isn't a massive challenge to a new car as you say.

The majority of thefts have actually come in London (on street parking as very few have driveways in the capital) so potentially there may well be a BMW literally next to you or around the corner, so there is every chance that if the thief finds your car problematic, they may well just move to the next vehicle.

If you can do anything that could delay/hamper the thief you could have a chance to prevent a potential theft. We know they've been accessing the OBD ports from a "blindspot" in the alarm sensors, so any additional barrier for them could cause more movement and thus trigger the alarm.

And whilst I'm delighted that your leasing company will simply provide you a new car in the event that it gets stolen, for many others, this might not be the case and i know i'd much rather deal without the stress of calling insurance companies and worrying about losing my NCB.

Last edited by ikonic; 07-07-2012 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0