View Single Post
      12-23-2014, 09:38 AM   #105
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
We've already been there and beaten this to death. There are some very ill-informed, ignorant and down-right idiotic people over the pond who think that their narrow view of what a BMW should be should dictate a global brand like BMW. Thankfully they're the minority, not only in the world but even in their own country
Please don't generalise or you'll hurt the feelings of other idiots in other countries for leaving them out.

As for ASS it's not there just to save fuel but cut emissions.

While not as good as Mercedes or GM in terms of smoothness I don't notice the shutter as much after a year of living with. I expect it will get better over time. As echoed by others problems include shutting down the engine when moving very slowly (ie when parking) and 'surging' a potentially more dangerous problem where the car leaps forward when too much throttle is applied on ASS wake up. On a 320 it's a problem. On an m3 or 335 it's going to be pretty damn unnerving but i guess you just get used to it and learn to control it like anything else.

Like or hate it I estimate by the end of 2016 most cars will have it. Even cheapy cars have keyless ignition these days so start stop is a software upgrade or two away.

Last edited by casualDIYer; 12-23-2014 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0