View Single Post
      01-25-2013, 05:46 AM   #344
f11tw
Rep
Drives: BMW F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
When the U0 & O0 are identical part-for-part (i.e. low compression version U0), they have to use some method to physically select particular engines to be U0 & others to be O0 (cos they're identical). After they've selected certain particular engines then they apply the software to differential the otherwise identical engines. Binning is the method used to select which low compression (i.e. identical) engines are to have the U0 software installed & which ones have the O0 software installed. It isn't a circular argument cos binning is only used as a method for selection when the engines are built using identical parts.
Thank you, clarence. I think I got your point. Let me ask you two question then:
1. Do you assume that there is such selection process as you described above, or you know for a fact that such selection process exists in BMW's manufacturing process?
2. You mentioned that they apply the software to differentiate the "otherwise identical engines". Do you see a possibility that without the binning process the same purpose can still be achieved?
Appreciate 0