07-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #13
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
You've lost me on the hash marks, unless the US market has to be set up in such a way.

Here in the UK there are 20 divisions on the gauge for my 61-litre tank (or 13.42 imperial gallons) so don't think the marks are there for any 'exact' measure...

HighlandPete
Sounds like you have hash marks -- the 20 divisions -- and we don't. That's about the beginning and end of it.

I have to agree it'd be rather difficult to -- quickly, in one's head -- equate 20 divisions to 13 (or 13.4) gallons. But it wouldn't surprise me at all to find that each division corresponds to roughly 3 litres. If I'm right, then they would serve the same purpose for which I use the marks found on my e92's fuel gauge.

There is one other way in which I use the marks on my fuel gauge. My phone has this app called Gas Buddy. It tells me where the cheapest gas is. I look at my gauge to see how much fuel I'll need to fill up and then figure whether it's worth my bother to go to this or that gas station or just buy the higher priced gas that's where I happen to be at the moment. (None of the cheapest places are on my regular routes, but none of them are that far away either.

That may sound penurious, but the gas station down the street wants $4.99/gallon (premium - 93 oct.). The one four miles from my parent's home $3.51/gallon (premium - 93 oct.). And though I have to deliberately go there (as it's not on the way to or from their home), when I tell from the little marks that I'm going to need to buy 12 or 8 or whatever gallons of gas, I'll make that detour because to me, gas is gas.

On the other hand, if I'm at home (downtown DC) with half a tank and I know the next day I'm headed toward Williamsburg, VA and should probably just fill up, I won't drive the 40 mile round trip out to my folks' area to save $9. I might however drive to a different station here in the city; there's no denying all of them downtown here are high as hell.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0