View Single Post
      11-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #22
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by unintelligible View Post
Amen. I too have a step 335 which is by far the best auto I have ever driven, and I'm sure the ZF 8 speed will be just as good if not better. But I was scared off from manuals after my first manual car - an Infiniti G37s. I only had that car for 9K miles because the clutch feel was downright awful for daily driving. The spring force quickly doubled about 3/4 through the clutch travel, and wouldn't you know it, that's where the (extremely abrupt) engagement point was. Even after a year driving that car it was downright embarrassing with passengers. And I had 4 people drive that car who exclusively drove stick, and they couldn't drive it smoothly either.

I took a bath to get out of it, but I've been much happier. But a few weeks ago, on a whim, I took a spin in a manual E90 335i, and the clutch and shifter were buttery smooth. I could not believe the difference, and was kicking myself for not having driven a BMW before buying that G37. So naturally I'm going manual with the F30!
Awesome!! I too test drove a g37s sedan. The clutch was way to firm, that engine was not smooth at all, and it had that blah japanese feel to it(imo). From my understanding, the manual gets even better with the CDV delete i have read about. Cant wait to be rowing those gears