11-11-2018, 06:18 AM   #171
Sweeney921
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW E39 M5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkswoosh View Post
I have 2018 340i xdrive. So from my brief time reading threads on here.

Coilovers will cancel out my adaptive suspension?

Springs and sway bar is a good route?

I'm looking for a moderate drop. (Getting rid most of wheel gap) would prefer a little stiffer setup. (Not tracking and it's a dd with two little ones)

Could use some advise or a sense of direction to research on.
Non-adaptive coilovers will require an EDC delete module to avoid error codes in the ECU. KW makes one that's supposedly reliable. You'll lose your adaptive suspension, of course.

KW makes an adaptive coilover option, but it costs something like $3000. Bilstein has advertised one too, but we've been waiting for it to be released to the market for over a year now. There's no firm date on when Bilstein's adaptive coilovers will come out.

Most people will recommend that you skip lowering spring/shocks and go straight to coilovers. You'll likely appreciate the ability to adjust the ride height and added shock adjustability too. Another thing to keep in mind is springs will sometimes settle unevenly; if that happens with lowering springs then you either have to live with it or start over and try another brand. Coilovers are infinitely adjustable for a level ride height, so they're one and done. They can also be serviced later on by the manufacturer if/when they wear out.
Appreciate 1