02-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #238
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdong View Post
Yeah, it's amazing how smooth it is. If you're moving faster than 5mph when the transition occurs, the road noise covers 100% of the ASS event. Seriously. Blindfold a passenger and they won't even be able to tell you when the engine turns on and off. Most of the times too, that's when the transitions happen.

The only time you notice the transition is when it happens at standstill, which generally is only when the air conditioning drains your battery to 7%. In that case, you hear the starter motor, feel a really faint vibration as the engine kicks in, and that's it. My passenger's reaction was "Hey, I could actually notice it that time!"

It really surprises me that BMW didn't put this sophisticated a start-stop system into the regular 328i/335i. The low voltage system in the AH3 consists of 2 12V batteries. Ordinarily they are connected together in parallel, but during starting, the car will disconnect one of the 12V batteries, use it for starting, then reconnect it. This prevents the sudden voltage dip when starting from affecting vehicle electronics.

If you pay attention to the engine starting in a 328i/335i, you can notice cabin lights and electronics dimming a bit during the start. In fact some people on this forum have reported their music volume changing / popping.
I don't think the standard F30 can ever be as smooth with the ASS, because the AH3 has the electric motor sandwiched in between the N55 and tranny instead of a torque converter. The motor can start the engine and smoothly sync it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoEV View Post
I am addicted to eBoost and not ashamed to admit it. I have never owned a car so powerful. I'm out of the break-in period and seek opportunities to fully experience eBoost. The other night in second gear, I floored the car and watched how long the car remained in eBoost mode. On dry and smooth blacktop, the thrust was so powerful that the rear wheels spun during the 2nd to third shift.

I have yet been able to stay in eBoost well before my courage escapes me. I've always wanted a car that could be frighteningly quick. I think I need some track time to fully experience the limits of this car

Does anyone have experience driving a car with overwhelming midrange performance?
I have only experienced eBoost a handful of times. You really have to be getting on it, and have plenty of road ahead of you

No doubt about it, this car is fast.
Appreciate 0