02-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #35
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by David328M-Sport View Post
Thing is, RR was born decades before BMW took them over.
Lexus was created by Toyota.
That's true, but the chassis on the 5, 7 and RR Ghost is the same chassis. It was designed with the intention of its being shared among the three cars. So does that make the BMW a RR or the RR a BMW?

Someone above said that (for them or a friend of theirs -- I don't recall which exactly) a car is effectively whatever is the name of the parent company. so I guess for them the RR is a BMW. But the chassis first appeared in the 7er, so I guess that makes the RR a BMW.

It doesn't matter really which way one goes on the matter. My point is still the same: sharing parts -- even major parts -- among sister brands does not make the cars simply rebranded variants of whatever one sees as the high-end or low end sister.

What difference does it make whether the relationship occurred via acquisition or via internal evolution. The end result is the same: they are sister car makers and they share parts between the brands. In the case of the RR, whereas you may never have thought of a RR as anything but an RR, or perhaps, if you remember the '80s, a Bentley with a bigger grill, applying some lines of argument above, an RR is now just a BMW. I personally, don't feel that way, but that's the point of the reasoning some folks have put forward, and I think its specious.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0