11-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #45
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheObviousChild View Post
I preferred the E46 dash to the E90 dash....and I've been staring at that for 6 years now (the E90 dash). I love the F30 dash. The E46 felt like a cockpit where the instruments faced the driver. e90 got away from this and F30 seems to move back to that feel.

The E90 dash just reminds me of a Buick with the one huge dash piece that extends across 65% of the cabin.

I have mixed feelings about the F30. I like the looks of the F30 exterior over the E90. F32 TBD. I also feel the interior of the F30 looks more modern and love that it has the HUD option finally. But...

The base wheel (haven't tried a sport one) in the F30 feels extremely cheap and rubbery over the E90.

Most of the wood-based trim options look terrible and that's coming from someone with the burl walnut trim (looks great) when I had an E93, carbon leather trim now and F30 isn't near as nice looking as either.

The controls seem a little to plasticky for my tastes and I hate the use of shiny silver colored plastic bits all over.

Also disappointed with the switch from hydraulic to electric steering (I can definitely feel the difference in a test drive) and that these cars seem to get bigger and bigger every year. My E92 looks huge next to an E46 and the F30 is even bigger yet!

I like the look of the new iDrive screen but I think it's less practical because the double hump provides shade from the sun and eliminates glare. To me, the new design makes it look like its meant to fold up and down or something.

Going to have to pay careful attention to see what BMW does to the next M3 or M4 or whatever they're going to call the F32 M-car. May have to start considering alternatives from MB and Porsche.
Appreciate 0