03-07-2016, 03:18 PM   #8
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Cool story!! glad you had a great trip

but...the cynic in me is thinking this is exactly what BMW had in mind with the softer F30.. to convert Lexus and Acura types.

If you had an E90 M3 I suspect your friend would have been complaining of the harsh ride and hard to turn steering wheel.

An "hardcore enthusiast" honda owner would have an AP1 S2k with a suspension mods worth as much as the car, or an engine swapped civic. Was your friend's TL even a 6MT type S or was it an automatic base TL?

Don't mean, to come off negatively, just truly curious because when some colleagues get into my F80 M3 they are like WTF are these cloth seats and why is the car so bumpy?! So it seems like the sport aspects of BMW that we all love actually are a turn off to some
I don't think its cynical at all. I've been mentioning on this forum, probably more often than true purists (whoever they are) care to hear, that BMW needs to expand its market to survive as a company. No car company can afford to stay one thing and expect to grow. Car companies either grow or they get eaten. Very few can stay niche and get away with it.

My buddy has the TL with an automatic transmission.

Those that have a problem with BMW catering to a broader audience either 1) don't know anything about running a business, 2) think BMW exists for their own personal use, or 3) I can't think of a third although I want to keep the category there in case a member responding to this post thinks of another one.

And your point about cloth seats and a bumpy ride is spot on. Not everybody understands and appreciates or wants an M3 or any performance-oriented vehicle. That okay. That's why successful car companies build so many types of vehicles. If you think about it, its a great time for car buyers/leasers. The choices and options are amazing and cars have never been cheaper in terms of price/performance/functionality/features.

Enjoy your M3. I am properly jealous, cloth seats or not
Appreciate 1