View Single Post
      07-09-2012, 08:32 PM   #63
martianpc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoptb View Post
As technology becomes more prevalent and heavily integrated in vehicles, gone are the days when a manufacturer can simply "drop in" a new Navigation system. For those that are whining and complaining about feeling short-changed, you really need to spend some time "under the hood" in the coding area to understand how large-scale of a change this really is. Information Technology integration is not something that is taken lightly at BMW, nor should it be. In the end, it's quality that counts, not "fast to market". With all of the safety and mechanical systems that are integrated into iDrive now, there are multiple regulatory reasons that these things can't just be pushed mid-cycle.

Unfortunately, this new system was not ready for the launch of the F30, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to do the launch of the F30 AH3 with older equipment when newer stuff is available. This isn't some conspiracy against 2012 and early 2013 buyers (I myself am one of those as well), it's just the reality of resources and schedules.

Would you all prefer that they just hold off on implementing the new Navigation system in the F30 until 2014? Or were you thinking that BMW should give you some sort of "I'm sorry that new technology came out" refund? Sheesh.
Would you all prefer that they just hold off on implementing the new Navigation system in the F30 until 2014?

-Yes, I would prefer that. Why should my 2013 not be as nice as someone who bought their 2013 3 months later. Keep model years uniform, introduce features and updates as part of MY changes. Gosh, selling this thing someday will be annoying... "So does this have the second gen iDrive or the older version?" --Resale will be lower for this alone.