View Single Post
      08-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #216
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpt View Post
I registered here just so I could contribute my experience with this issue.

My new (leased) 328i Sport with 6MT (no variable steering) has the steering vibration problem from 40-60 mph, which I originally assumed was just a matter of the wheels not being properly balanced.

On my first service appointment the wheels were rotated and underwent the roadforce balance procedure. They said it was better but not fixed and that I needed to bring the car back so they could start a PUMA case to work with BMW directly. At least they acknowledged the issue.

From my perspective there was no improvement in the steering vibration after the rotation and re-balancing.

At the follow up service appointment BMW authorized my dealer to swap the tires for a different brand. I started with Pirellis and now I have the Goodyears. They said the shop foreman did extensive road testing and they were sure I would be happy with the results.

The vibration is perhaps minimally improved with the different tires but is still definitely there. I think they're hoping I'll live with it.

I test drove another 328i Sport model while mine was in the shop. It also had the steering vibration but is much less prominent than mine. I might not have even noticed it if I hadn't already been so sensitized to the issue. So it seems to me that this is some sort of design issue and is unlikely to be remedied by multiple trips to the service department.

Some of you have requested video evidence. The vibration can definitely be seen in the steering wheel and is present in all driving modes. It is more than annoying; it interferes with the core driving experience. Everything else about how this car drives and rides is great. Very impressed with the performance and gas mileage.

Other than that I now have some regrets after acquiring this vehicle. It would have been a deal killer had I known ahead of time. I'm glad I don't own the car and that my lease is a relatively short 30 months. I'll just follow this thread and hope that BMW will come up with a credible solution for those of us with this issue before too long.

--
So the vibration is always at those speeds?
You don't get it at 30 or 60?

Something other than the wheels is setting up that oscillation within a specific mph.
The obvious is wheels, but since that has been changed and tried over and over, then we can likely exclude the wheels.

What else is spinning?
It doesn't necessarily mean that the rotating part is the culprit. It could just be the catalyst that creates the oscillation that transmits the frequency to something that is attached to it, like a bushing.
Wheel bearings?
Out of round hub, or excessive run out?
Out of round rotor?
Even an unbalanced drive shaft could cause vibration.

For the brake rotor the tech could simply rotate it a couple of lugs and see if the vibe changes. You guys could try this easily at home if you have a floor jack. I know you shouldn't have to do this in a new car, but if someone is feeling adventurous it's an easy thing to try just to see.
If there is a change, then you can tell the tech and it could point them in the right direction for things to check.

But, this is more towards a specific car. This problem is broader than that, so the rotor indexing may not do anything.

Have you guys tried staying at the constant speed that the vibration is occurring but shift down or up a couple of gears to see if the vibration changes or goes away? It could indicate something in the trans setting up an oscillation.

Those of you with the vibe should set up a list posting your build dates.
It would help set up a data base to see if the problem cars are within a certain build date range.
Also note the plant it was built at.
Appreciate 0