View Single Post
      04-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #221
Casey 5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i,SPG,ZSP,ZPP,Step

BMW is Skewing Older

The poster who got upset with the fact that BMW is skewing older just needs to take a walk around the show room:

The 6 series is a PERFECT example--

The last 6er was a car that appealed to buyers in their late 20s to 40s (if they could afford it) and the 50 to 60 demographic. That is because it did two things well--SPORT AND LUXURY. The 650i hit the balance of German styling with a hint of cool aggression--especially the vert.

Look at the 650 i of today...a $110K overweight boat that can only possibly appeal to the older demographic. No SPORT...No COOLNESS....No hint of danger.

What driver under 50 if they won a 650i vert would not IMMEDIATELY trade it in!!

Now walk over to the Audi dealership....

Whoa....an R8....anybody with a license over 16 NOT want to take it for a spin....not much more than a bloated 650i vert.

How about an S5 or S5 vert ? Again....you want one of these as soon as you get a license.

Same is true for the S4.

Even the new A6 and A7 with full LED headlights skew younger...look at the Super Bowl Ad.....Vampires.....Audi is gowing for the younger crowd.

Seriously....could a 5 series have pulled off that commercial the way the A7 did....we all know the truth no way.

The BMW GT could not for sure (that is BMWs answer to the cool A7 with full LEDs).

If you were in your 30s and 40s and wanted the top end....wouldn't feel that the A8 (or the new S8) was more youthful and appropriate than a 750i.

No do not get me wrong...skewing older is not necessarily a bad business model.

The 5 series (550i), 6 series, 7 series are now loaded going 80K+--the 6 and 7 series over $100K.

Normally the only folks with that kind of scratch is the 50+ country club crowd.

No a bunch of 20 something vampires partying out in the woods...

But I'll party with those vampires any time over dinner with the country club crowd.
Appreciate 0