10-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #5
nemith
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 BMW 335xi M-Sport EBII

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
unsure where the margins are for them...if you can get the PPK done for $1200-1500, they REALLY have to provide some solid, reliable gains over that to entice customers.
I don't agree with your assessment.

First Cobb and Vishnu both have offered tunes for other cars (N54, Subaru, etc) that have ALWAYS been less than $1200. For Cobb it's been $895 and not sure on Vishnu. They could be very competitive here even at MPPK numbers.

Typically MPPK numbers are very conservative compared to after market tunes. I would expect Cobb and Vishnu to put up (even moderately) better numbers.

I suspect that the reason why we haven't seen anything is the complexity of the DME's in our vehicles. Look at the MPPK which is made by BMW there is already 3 different versions and customers reporting issues. I have a July 2014 build F30 and MPPK still isn't available for me to order. If BMW is having troubles then full flash companies line Dinan and Cobb are going to have a heck of a time reverse engineering the DME to support their flashes.

I think they will come. Cobb took about 4 years after the N54 was released to get a flash tune. Now this was their introduction into the BMW market so I don't expect it to take that long, but there will be challenges for such a new car.
Appreciate 0