View Single Post
      08-25-2012, 07:40 AM   #17
Dust16
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
They might have the Adaptive Steering option on that test car. It has been well viewed by the critics.
Actually EVO, who are sort of *the* reference point for this kind of stuff, said they did not like the variable sport steering (as it is called over here). Then again, I've read from both people claiming that this system has no impact for normal steering angles (i.e. not maneuvering), while others say it accelerates the initial steering angle (in a non-linear way). So it's not even clear to me what it actually does. BMW make great cars, but they need to keep their marketing department on a leash and actually explain what some of these options do or mean.

FWIW, BMW documentation seems to say the former (only changes behavior at extreme steering angles), as they suggest it's actually of the most benefit for parking (but then why call it 'sport'?). Also I find it hard to believe that BMW would feel that non-linear steering is a good idea, but then wasn't that what the 'Active Steering' (as seen on other models) was doing?

In any case, I've test driven an f30 320d (Sport Line on 18") with what I was told was standard servotronic steering, and it was perfect for me. Perfectly linear, just enough directness (not so much to make it nervous), ideally weighted (in Sport mode), and the supposed lack of feedback was not something I even noticed. In fact it's been a while since I felt I 'blended' so naturally with a car - for the steering feedback to become a limiting factor you'd have to be on a track (or drive like a complete nutcase).
Appreciate 0