View Single Post
      12-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #21
PeterM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46M54325Ci View Post
For the e9x cars those that tuned them had a Bavarian Tech (BavTech) code reader that was capable of not just reading the universal codes but BMW specific codes and was capable of clearing them. This is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL because BMW developed "shadow codes" that are hidden and, if triggered, will tell the dealer that the car has been tuned. There was also a possibility that for cars with BMW Assist these codes were TRANSMITTED TO BMW before they could be cleared. I don't know if that's true or was ever resolved, but the shadow codes are FOR REAL.

For me this was all too much and I just decided against any non-factory tune altogether. Be careful before and after you tune. Just taking it out probably will not be enough. Too many people have had their warranties voided after removing the tune because they failed to clear the shadow codes. Have fun but be careful. The BMW warranty is worth its weight in gold, but its as fragile as an eggshell.
Im not sure how BMW scan tools work at the dealer, But im a tech at toyota and if we check codes it will send them straight to toyota so its true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omer View Post
You guys make it such a big deal, install the JB and when you take it for service shut it off or leave it on. I have a 2009 335i face lift for almost 3 years and I have the dual cone intake jb3 then went to JB4 also have straight pipe, hid fog lights paint my top of the car black plus other shit. And I bring my car to any dealer for service no one has said shit to me. I'm getting my 2013 335 I M next week after this bitch Sandy came thru and everything is in hold.
Basically true plus the techs or service people dont really care or know its a lease. As long as you dont come in with CEL on or engine problems i would not worry at all about leaving the JB tune in. A tech is not going to waste his time to check if it has a tune unless you have a engine related concern.