02-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #23
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic
How often do you think anyone puts a 1,000lb payload in the back of their F-150? Probably never.

Boats aren't very heavy. Or jet skis. Snow mobiles aren't very heavy. Appliances. I could go on...

The cars are designed to be capable of towing. The engineers have already built in a safety factor when determining the ratings. The cars are perfectly capable.

As an aside, I have a 3/4 diesel Suburban that I use to haul stuff, people and to tow my cars. It's "rated" for 5,000lbs. It's "capable" of towing 15,000lbs. so long as I'm not trying to maintain 85MPH over a mountain pass.

It's just a different mindset than we're used to here in the US. Towing with cars hasn't really been prevalent since the 50's.
Agreed, but a boat and trailer are still well over 1000lbs. Not necessarily much more than 3 or 4000 for a small boat. But not 1000 either.

Who said anything about the back of an F150? Thought we were talking about towing. I've never tried to tow an appliance, must be some kind of party trick.

All kidding aside, the only point I was trying to make is your suburban is better suited for towing not only because it has the power to handle so much weight, but because it's not so much smaller than the camper or boat or refrigerator compared to a small sedan, less drag and less stress on the motor.

Again, never said a sedan couldn't or even shouldn't tow. Just pointing out there are other factors to consider.
Appreciate 0