06-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #1
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Removing Front Bumper / Fascia and License Plate Bracket

I just want to start of by saying, if you are attempting this and you damage or break something, I am in no shape or form responsible. So be careful take your time and have fun with it. If you get frustrated walk away for a while and have a beer.

The reason I did this was even though I live in a state where a front plate is not required for some reason they mounted a bracket on my fascia so I wanted to remove it. Plus this will help the future M-Sport fascia upgrade if anyone chooses to do so...

Dont try to drill out the rivets, because they are not rivets! They are T-25 screws shot from the inside of the fascia, I just by chance wanted to do it the harder way and remove my fascia, plus I was curious to how its done.

Tools: Really all you need is screwdrivers and ratchets, but i have a right angle Makita so I prefer that.
8mm socket and ratchet
T-25 bit
T-30 bit
Pin Puller or pick tool

Start on Top
I would protect the bottom of the fascia with something, and lay some sort of tarp blanket what ever you have underneath it so you dont scratch it.
Remove the weather strip from the hood/facia.
PIC 2. You will see the exposed T30 on top 6 total. The 2 t25's are already visible they are located on the right and left sides there are only 2 of them. Undo all of these and place in ziplock bags for safe storage.

PIC 3. Then move to the wheel well splash shield. You will need to start the car a few times and turn the wheel to create space. This is where the 8mm's are (4) note you may not need to remove the inboard 8mm but I did. Unscrew the 8mm's in the splash shield and (2) long 8mm's in the shoulder of the fascia screwed into the fender. Do this to both sides. NOTE PIC 4 shows 2 shoulder 8mm screws.

Move underneath the fascia. You will see 8-8mm screws and 6 push pin style scrivets. Remove all of these. Pretty straightforward you may need a pin puller to take out the scrivet, I used a pick just pull straight down.

Its almost ready to come off. But 1st there are some electrical connections to undo and the washer hose.

PIC 5 shows the camera disconnected, do this on both sides if you have a camera. Both sides, Left and Right. Directly Underneath that will be your fog lamp connection undo that as well.

PIC 6. Now on the Right side of the car is the washer hose connection if you have this option. Locate the little spring like device on it and push down while pulling up on the hose it will pop right off. CAUTION washer fluid will start to pour out, so immediately stow it up, I used the fender as a stow and no fluid will come out, shown in picture. Again dont forget to disconnect the camera on this side if you have it.

PIC 7 Disconnect the fog lamp connections on the RH side this one has 2 connections shown in picture. You are ready to start pulling off the Fascia.

PIC 8 This shows you where the plastic arrow tab is still holding the Fascia on, gently pull up on it with your finger, you may have to do it from underneath the car. Then slowly start pulling the Fascia off, DO NOT FORCE anything! Just play with it and it will come right off.

Place it somewhere aside and you are ready to reove the plate bracket. Just unscrew the 6 t25 screws and it pops off. Unfortunately now there are holes, but maybe a vendor can chime in here and provide us with some painted push pins of some sort to cover the holes . Also they used 4 way locators for the bracket so there are 2 extra holes to cover up.

To reassemble just follow in reverse and take your time. Good Luck, and have fun. Make sure to reconnect everything and start the car make sure your cameras work, and fog lamps work.

This took me maybe an hour. I do work on cars alot, its my life. I can say that this was one of the easiest front bumpers I have ever removed.

Hope this helps you guys in the future.

EDIT: Added a few more photos, just for the visual.
Attached Images

Last edited by Jadar; 06-19-2012 at 02:29 AM.. Reason: Adding INFO
Appreciate 1