11-19-2017, 02:43 PM   #18
Tengocity
Lieutenant General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 335d/F30 330e/Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobb View Post
I believe one of the single biggest culprits here Pete, is the adoption, by all manufacturers, of electrically assisted steering. Give me a well sorted hydraulic set up any day.

That's often the case but it's not as simple as that. Plenty hydraulic systems aren't all that fulsome in their feedback. E46 M3 isn't a patch on similar era Porsche's for example.

And with electric systems they are improving year to year. The 330e steering has bundles more feel that the 335d does. Porsche have apparantly made huge strides from the first 991 systems to the latest ones to be found on the 991.2.

But what I do totally agree with is that steering feel, or that connection to the road is absolutely key to driving enjoyment, yet ignored by so many.

My dad now has a M135i and after taking it for a good blast I know that the drivetrain is absolutely spectacular, the suspension is ok, and the steering is the letdown of the package.