View Single Post
      05-23-2014, 10:07 AM   #12
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

An interesting observation. Time to have that sent off to the Mythbusters to see if it might be true. I have a feeling most GPS systems, when they can't get a good signal, 'estimate' their position based on speed along with internal map data and hence the error is introduced.

As for GPS, there are two types of signals. The one used in cars, GPS units, phones, etc is the Course Acquisition Code. A somewhat 'dumb downed' version of the other code, called the Precision Code. For example, mounting the GPS unit out of a smart bomb in your car, you'd likely be able to navigate to the middle of your living room. Not convinced? If he was still around you could ask Sadam Hussein. Lots of items were guided to many of Sadam's living rooms using the P code.

P codes are somewhat more complex than C/A codes. A C/A code is 128 bytes (not kilo or mega, just plain old bytes). A P code is 728 gigabytes. Actually, the 728 GB code is a small segment of the master P code, a 26 TB monster. A C/A code is great for finding Disneyland. A P code is great for finding the ventilation shaft of an underground bunker.

As for BMW's idea, I think it's great. What could possibly go wrong with yet another flawless auto technology that probably won't kill more than a dozen people?
Appreciate 0