08-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #104
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rconti View Post
PPS: I've actually *driven* a slushbox 328 with ASS, and it sucks. I fully agree that auto start stop systems are the future, and it probably wouldn't be bad in a stick, but in the slushbox I drove, the car shook quite roughly every time the engine fired up while I was still sitting at a red light with my foot on the brake.. which was about 90% of the red lights I came to. They're going to have to find a way to make the battery actually last a full red light cycle, or at least smooth out the restart process. Major kudos to BMW for offering the solution to code the car to remember the last ASS setting. That's the right fix, there -- let the customer choose.
I liked the rest of your comment but just wanted to chime in on the reason the stop/start isn't staying a full cycle- its bc of the climate control settings. It won't allow the interior to get out of a certain range when the car is "off". Turn off the auto setting (or turn the whole thing off open the windows) and see if that sorts it out; should do it and they all do that. I will agree that BMW's use of the starter on the 4 cylinder is rough and they would have been better off stopping the engine with one cylinder in full compression/ no spark then firing the spark to start it back up when the system said to...