335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
The thread is still alive.

Well as the OP I think its fair to add some insight into this.

After all the abuse I took here, I took time to reevaluate everything. Now bear in mind we have had two storms here, the first occured when this thread was started and the major one we had last week. 15 inches of snow, yes thats major in this part of the world. The first storm must have been like 1 to 2 inches with temps between 28 to 33 F.

The first storm the car handled very well, absolutely no issues except for stopping, but nothing crazy. The second storm, on Friday night, in the thick of it I took my X5 out around 10pm and the car handled it like a tank, zero issues. I am on all seasons on that one. All roads were bad at that stage with very minimal traffic. Did up to 70 mph for a brief moment as I was the only one on the road. On Saturday, around 11am I took the X5 out for about 30 mins on local roads as those were still bad. Temps were around 25F. I then took out the F30 (19 inch staggered perf tires). The car could get up and go but the stopping was SCARY. I only had it out for like 10 mins, which was too long, I then went home and parked it.

On Saturday all major roads were cleared of snow as if nothing happened, by Sunday I was doing 0-60 runs and wondering why the car needs ti change to 3rd gear to get to 60 (sport automatic transmission).

Now here are the key issues from this unnecessarily long post:

1) Given the 1st storm was small, the car can be driven with minimal issues. If I asked If I would create this thread again solely on the basis of the first storm I would say YES.
2) Given the 2nd storm, I would say to hell with the F30, park it and wait for the roads to clear. Given it took less than 24 hours to get this done (as Tsuyoi alluded to earlier), I would say in my neck of the woods there is still nothing wrong with the summers. This is a seperate issue from (1), and I want to be clear on this. Here I am saying winters are an OVERKILL around my area given you only need 24hrs to clear snow after such a major storm. 15 inches in other parts of the world is not a major storm. I also need to point out this is the first major winter storm in a couple of years.
3) Why does the 335i need to change to 3rd gear to get to 60?
4) My opinions are only applicable in my neck of the woods, your situation will be completely different and your experiences are welcome as we can all learn from them.
Its TEMPERATURE that is the biggest problem. Don't think youve been following along.
Appreciate 0