View Single Post
      01-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #242
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
What you're saying makes no sense. BMW does not dyno every single engine that comes off the production line. They do a driving simulation at the end of the assembly line on something that resembles a dyno, but the car is already badged at that point. The 180 HP engine is designed to output 180 HP from start to finish.

The reason tuners can't get the same output from the 180 HP version as they do the 240 HP version is because of some difference in the engine that BMW put there. It may be intake related. It may be exhaust related. It may be turbo related. It may be Valvetronic related. It may be head flow related...

I don't know, but I do know that there's no way that BMW's engine assembly line suffers from that degree of manufacturing variation.
Sorry, the N20 is only made in 3 plants for all the production lines BMW have worldwide. The completed engines are test run on a bench & the power & torque are recorded for every engine. This is before shipping out to the relevant plants to be installed into the actual car.
As I (& many) said before, the major parts between 20i & 28i are identical (turbo, block, injectors, camshaft etc), & the binning theory has never been categorically denied by insiders even on threads where they have directly participated.
Appreciate 0