View Single Post
      12-17-2012, 12:07 AM   #46
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCcaraholic View Post
I picked up a new 2012 328i on November 17th, and it has VSS. I have the dreaded thunk especially over rough roads. Sounds like something is hitting something under the dash, but it's just noise from the steering gear (my thinking it is) coming through the steering shaft.

I also had someone move the steering wheel while I looked under the hood. The noise is definitely coming from the steering rack and steering shaft. If I'm stopped and shake the steering wheel left to right quickly, I get the same thunky clunky noise inside the car. I hope there is a fix soon and will follow these posts until there is. I don't really want to take my car in until I know where to tell the dealer to look.
I have that same sound when moving the wheel while stationary, but I don't get any thunk while driving.
Maybe things haven't loosened up as much as yours, because when I first got my 3 it didn't have this thunk while turning the wheel with parking lot big movements. Mine started about 2 months ago.

The thing I did have from day one was the discovery that AT F30's don't have a locking steering wheel. One day when my steering wheel was moved left to right quickly, as my nephew was playing with the wheel, I heard soft thunks.
Car was parked not running.
I then repeated the motion and it's there all the time.
Posted on other threads and some people have this noise and others don't.
To me that indicates that it's not normal, but my dealer says there is no problem, of course they would.
Appreciate 0