04-28-2014, 04:50 PM   #16
Bleser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 ///M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thanks for the feedback all. Good discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Personally, I just drive the car. It's a daily driver and most certainly was not built to rely on consumers following the letter of the manual to keep it from falling apart. It's built for it, drive it…….. Not suggesting you floor it from the second you leave your driveway on a daily basis, but I for one will never be checking my oil temp before deciding between accelerating onto a busy highway or getting crushed by a Mack truck.
And you know, that is probably what I should do. But I don't. When I spend the kind of money I spent on this thing, I want to treat it right to get the longest life and avoid all problems. Probably totally unnecessary, but it's just the way I work and was curious how everyone else treated the same situation. Seems some follow the procedures I do, while others ignore it.

I was watching a Jay Leno's Garage episode about his Countach and he said the most crucial element to all of his Lamborghinis is to let the fluids warm up before driving them hard. He's had no issues by following this practice but heard others would starve the engine of lubrication if hammering on it when cold. Yes, the N55 is no 1980s Lamborghini V-12, but the fundamental principal, to me, is the same.
Appreciate 0