Thread: X-Drive Vs RWD
View Single Post
      12-11-2013, 04:33 AM   #196
focal
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i 6MT w/ MPS & MPE

About to pick up a '13 328i sport line RWD 6MT base suspensionthis week. Coming from an '04 545i sport RWD 6MT and '06 525xi AT. Getting rid of both at the same time.

The xdrive 5 handled like a good large soft sedan. Boring drive with the AT and the engine being down quite a few HP to the 545i. I drove the 525xi in the winter and the 545i in the summer thinking I needed the extra traction. Then decided to get snows on the 545i and have barely touched the 525xi. Obviously the 545i was the perfect handling balance for a large sedan. Not to mention the joy rowing gears with that engine.

I loved the feel of the E90 but it was never big enough for family duties. Now that I am a single dad I decided to drop back to one car. The F30 is big enough and the only MT models are on RWD models (unless you go top range 335i $). MT was mandatory. I am the opposite. The only thing that keeps me awake and engaged when I'm in traffic is to drive a manual.

Curious if it will still be an upgrade in feel and handling? The E60's I had, had quite a bit of boost in the steering. So much lighter and softer than the friends' E90's I drove. The 545i with active steering especially. The 525xi actually felt better but still soft. I didn't even test drive the F30 before buying Silly me to buy without trying. I am assuming it will drive and handle better than my 545i.
Appreciate 0