06-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #141
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by maswastage View Post
I think you have things sorely confused. According to every test published so far, the F30 328i is actually a little slower than the 335d, and (in the real world) is less efficient by several miles-per-gallon. And in terms of price, the F30 328i costs the same as a similarly optioned 335d did. I configured a 328i with similar options as my car, and it came out to roughly the same price.

In any case, the F30 has six years newer technology to work with that allow it to almost match the performance and economy of the old diesel. The point is that, given the same advances in technology (such as the 8 speed transmission), an f30 335d would blow everything away both in terms of performance and fuel efficiency. It would certainly make for a much more attractive package than this horribly overpriced hybrid.
My point remains that the top end diesel model is the wrong choice, if we're only going to have one. It costs more than a 335i, isn't massively more efficient, and slots between the two available petrol engines in terms of performance. If we only get one diesel, give us an efficient one, not a moderately fast one. I'd guess 100x more people would buy a 325d over a 335d, but BMW seems to want to conclude we don't like diesels. Instead, we just don't like the one they offered us, and neither do EU buyers, the 335d sold miniscule numbers compared to the 330d, 320d and old 325d, plus they were also available with a manual.
Appreciate 0